Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
perrrob
perrrob Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

pekored wrote:

I realize this is not what you will want to hear, but if you don’t mind I will contribute an opinion. In the film days, I was a prime guy with Nikon ... and all the fastest versions of lenses: 105, 50, 35, and 24. At one time, I even had a Panasonic m4/3 to save space and weight. It sits in the cupboard and I refuse to use it as I have so much fun with my new camera. I am no spring chicken at 66 years of age.

My current gear? Just a Nikon D500 (upgraded from the D300) and one zoom lens: 16-80mm DX. This lens is tack sharp and covers a focal range that never leaves me wanting something else. I have thought about a 70-200mm but when I give it serious consideration ... I just do not have a high enough need at the high end. Again, this is for the photos I take.

I recently returned from a cruise of Italy, Greece and Malta (some photos in the link below). While not full frame, the D500 and one lens did it all. I created a ‘gallery’ wall of metal prints that sure give me a lot of pleasure.

You can never say ‘never’, but that combo could see me to my end. If I had the cash, I know I could travel the world with it, ha, ha.

All the best to you in any choice you make and it will work!

Regards, Peter

I concur, I used to travel with a lot of gear but now at 60 years old I much prefer a smaller and lighter kit. I enjoy my vacation a lot more this way.

These days, my travel kit is a Nikon D7100 (APS-C) with a 16-85mm DX zoom and a light 35mm f/1.8G DX prime (for low light and shallow DOF situations).

I rarely need a longer lens than 85mm (128 FF equiv.) and, for me, it's not worth carrying a heavy zoom during a whole week just for one or two pictures.

A few years ago, I briefly considered going to full frame DSLR's because of their advantages (ie. low light capabilities, DOF, etc) but decided against it because of the size and weight issues.

PS: I wish Nikon would sell a small and light 24mm DX (35mm FF equiv.) as I just love that focal length for street photography.

perrrob's gear list:perrrob's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow