Ramblings on image processing, too much work!!!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
liquidsquid Senior Member • Posts: 1,895
Ramblings on image processing, too much work!!!

I have a Panasonic G9, and it makes taking pictures all too easy. I go on an excursion with the family for a day, and come back with a few hundred images. Example would be Montezuma Wildlife refuge. Lots of bird pictures, family pictures, etc. Another would be soccer game images, of which several hundred images can come from.

So then I move the data over to the PC for processing, and get overwhelmed. I sit on it for a few weeks so I can take an objective view of the images, and then try to narrow it down to less than 20 images that I would want to see again 10 years from now...

The problem is, this takes a LONG time to go through, especially when several images are very similar, all are good, but one is "best". For me, this is taking the fun out of things. Four hours of work last night to narrow it down, and then post 6 images to FB.

So last night while I am going through the images, I was thinking to myself "wouldn't it be great if someone else did this for me?" I could let them be a judge of what they thought was good or not, from someone else's trained eye perspective.

That is what I think the next wave of computing will be: An AI that is trained by yourself in the process of selecting content on your machine. It watches what you like and don't like, and perhaps what social media users like and don't like about your images, and then applies that to new image sets, giving them rankings based on appeal. Then it should allow you to simply select low rated images and remove them all at once, then fiddle around with the remainder.

That is what AI and our powerful computers should be doing for us. They still require a ton of guidance from us and our own judgments. New electronics makes creating digital content far too easy, but dealing with the content is now overwhelming.

-- hide signature --

My pictures...
{Whoops, dead link!}

liquidsquid's gear list:liquidsquid's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow