Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
mattspace
mattspace Regular Member • Posts: 375
Re: Update: An unexpected opportunity.

raymondg wrote:

So here I was at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin taking some photos with my D810 and 14-24. A guy walks up to me and hands me a camera and gestures for me to take a photo of he and his wife in front of the gate. I put the camera to my eye and immediately see that it is a mirrorless camera. Face detection was enabled so I frame and take a couple of shots.

This was the first time I have had the Z7 in my hands and maybe I need to spend more time with it but at the moment, my DSLR is still my preferred option.

I was in the same position, currently gearing up to travel to Japan, and also looked at the Z7, which I didn't like (EVF heat builup, and low framerate seasickness). Eventually decided to stay with my D800 &14-24, but to upgrade my tripod to lose 400gm, and get a better camerabag with a significantly better harness & waistbelt (mindshift firstlight).

I'm making some low-profile custom camera plates that should allow me to have the camera hung on a blackrapid strap under the backpack, so I can take the bag off / on without removing my camera, but which also allows a peak design capture clip plate to be attached while the blackrapid is still connected. So I can have the capture clip on my pack's waiststrap, and my camera holstered there, with no weight on my shoulders while walking around, but then unclip, and the blackrapid is still connected to shoot. Also the Peak Design plate is ARCA, so it works in my tripod as well.

-- hide signature --
 mattspace's gear list:mattspace's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow