IMHO, MILC = future

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
grepper Regular Member • Posts: 224
IMHO, MILC = future

Please don’t misinterpret what I am suggesting here. I am not, in any way hawking ML cameras. I don’t own one and have only used one once may years ago. I currently use a D750 and enjoy its crystal clear, real time OVF and IQ. However, I completely understand the lag and low res of EVF compared to OVF that I have read about here. To me that is intolerable. Plus sensor issues like stripes in the images etc. indicate that the ML tech isn’t quite there yet.

That said, we all know how electronics improve rapidly, and the rate of same is increasing. It won’t be too long before lag issues and the low resolution of the EVF will be solved. Plus sensor technology is on the same path.

Given the rate of technological innovation and progression, it sure seems to me that it won’t be long before flapping a mechanical mirror like an over caffeinated duck’s bill and the fragile clanking mechanical shutter on amphetamines along with the marvelous mechanisms that motivate it will seem as antiquated as the clicking mechanical relays in computer systems of yesteryear. I mean, it’s really amazing that the flappy mirror and shutter contraptions work as well as the do and don’t suffer more frequent failures. These mechanical systems seem to be reaching the apogee of development and are pushing the limits of what little springs and levers can accomplish.

Historically, the apogee of one technology is the beginning of its successor and generally occurs when it’s needed. The replacement of mechanical relays with transistors is a great example. Remember the finest record player (turntables) of their day? Little weights, pulleys and other fancy pants mechanisms to ever so gently lower the stylus onto the record are now replaced by just looking at it with a laser. Similar examples are endless.

We may not be quite there yet but it seems to me the writing is on the wall. Electronic shutters, real time sensor focusing, super intelligent exposure and heads-up deep info EVF displays seem inevitable along with the associated reduction of moving parts, camera size, weight and increasing MTBF.

In camera CPU power will no doubt increase too. Imagine how cool it would be when we have sensor pixel level exposure detection that completely eliminates clipping. Every pixel on the sensor with individual exposure control. Extremely intelligent shape recognition that can follow a bee flying through a flower bed as well as our eyes/brain can. We won’t be taking individual images, but rather just selecting a full resolution frame from short video bursts.

FWIW and IMHO, it seems the writing is on the wall and as the tech matures it will be really cool. Until then I’ll enjoy shooting with my D750.

grepper's gear list:grepper's gear list
Nikon D750 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +1 more
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow