Has MFT made any IQ advances, using JPEG at ISO 200?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Has MFT made any IQ advances, using JPEG at ISO 200?

I know that sooner or later I'll get some deal on a 20mp Olympus and I'll just think it's the most wonderful camera made since the first Ur Leica.

But tonight I posted some of my hackneyed propaganda shots of scenic Missouri on Facebook and my friends just think I have the finest camera there is, to take such pretty pictures.

But I know, that my 16mp cameras just aren't the best and latest, and only my allergy of turning loose of money keeps me from owning a Pen F instead of a P5, or an M1 II instead of an M5 II.

But for those of us that only shoot JPEG, I was looking through my gallery and the reviews of Olympus cameras on DPR, and I'm starting to think that in good light, at ISO 200 in JPEG, there may not have been any improvement in image quality at all when the pictures are viewed uncritically, on a computer screen or printed out.

Here's two examples.

This is a JPEG from an early release PL1 on DPR.

And here's a sample JPEG from the P3 using the 14-42 kit lens.

Now look at one I made with my PM2 of an old bank building.

My point is, when the very first MFT cameras worked so well using JPEG in good light, how much room for improvement is there by upgrading cameras, if all you ever do is use JPEG and consumer lenses?

None of the above shots used RAW, but is a MFT JPEG taken in glorious light a MFT JPEG, regardless of what sensor is used?

How do you perfect, perfection?

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow