Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Franglais91 Contributing Member • Posts: 932
People are usually delighted with the Z6

raymondg wrote:

So here I was at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin taking some photos with my D810 and 14-24. A guy walks up to me and hands me a camera and gestures for me to take a photo of he and his wife in front of the gate. I put the camera to my eye and immediately see that it is a mirrorless camera. Face detection was enabled so I frame and take a couple of shots.

I hand the camera back and ask; "SONY" and the reply (in German) "Nien; NIKON" I am stunned as I didn't expect that. "NIKON Z7 mit 24-70" was the next response.

So I compared the size of the two side by side and there is a noticeable difference. It did feel quite good in my hands and the controls felt familiar. However I was less that enamoured by the EVF.

This was the first time I have had the Z7 in my hands and maybe I need to spend more time with it but at the moment, my DSLR is still my preferred option.

I Don't know anyone who has switched from Nikon DSLR to the Z7. However I do know quite a few people who have switched to the Z6 and they are all delighted with it. The reasons vary:

- much better high ISO noise (ex-users of D700)

- much better auto-focus (ex-users of D600)

- much better video (ex-user of a D850)

The Z6 is identical to the Z7 apart from the sensor but it costs about half the price. If you're feeling tempted..

-- hide signature --
 Franglais91's gear list:Franglais91's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow