What's really important in photography...???

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
JDC1958 Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
Re: What's really important in photography...???

kiwi2 wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

"At the end of the day I think people need to ask themselves just how important is all this technical discussion and how much of a difference will it actually make to the quality of the photos in someone's album." --OP

The answer to that is, it matters a heck of a lot sometimes.

I'm sick of people using the claim that "its all about the photographer and the subject and the light, not the gear" as if the equipment never matters. It absolutely does matter and, in some cases, it matters a whole lot. Any implication to the contrary will be met with proof that the claim is false.

I'm not even arguing against the importance of gear. I am making a point about the absolute nonsense that gets pushed down people's throats around here by a handful of self appointed forum "experts".

You can't mean that these technical experts, professional engineers and not professional photographers is how some come across to me, do not have galleries opening all over the world.

Surely you jest!

I think the sad fact is for some the debate about cameras and photography has become the hobby. DPR reminds me of a Sports Bulletin Board at times. Fans who no longer play and/or were never good enough to get paid to play: come here to post. argue, and debate about their favorite team ( camera technology ) all day and night long.

The engineers are just as sad as the fan boys at times. I think some honestly believe their 150 thread limit gibberish is somehow extremely relevant to understanding the basic to advanced concepts of taking a good picture and making a quality print.

My thoughts,

#1- Spend more money on education and less on camera upgrades. We are never to old to learn something new and expand our horizons.

#2- Invest time into a photography class and argue about CPU, memory, and engineering drivel less.

-- hide signature --

Common sense is common knowledge; not everyone's common knowledge is the same. Explanation: A farmer runs circle around the city dweller on his farm. The city dweller likewise runs circles around the farmer in a downtown environment. Neither are idiots, their common knowledge ( sense ) is just different.

JDC1958's gear list:JDC1958's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Samsung NX1 Nikon D500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
jbf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow