8 Bit or 16 bit , sRGB or Pro Photo

Started Sep 11, 2019 | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,283
Re: Then I'll be more direct with you.

it seems you did not read the attached PDF, if you had you would see the Gamma described as the potential area

No the gamut is the potential area (of colors); the gamma is a mathematical encoding that takes typically linear raw sensor data and redistributes it so the brightest part doesn't get so much more bandwidth than it needs and the darkest part gets enough bandwidth so that it still has reasonable tonal smoothness. Read the Wikipedia article on gamma I linked above.

and the bit depth as the definition level.

I don't know what "the definition level" level is. That's not a term I've seen used in this context. Basically, you just need to use enough bit depth to avoid banding. For printing (as for the old TV show) 8 is enough (well, 8 per each RGB channel). The reason you don't use 8 for editing is that if you adjust the light-dark or color relationships much, then you'd risk creating banding.

I again say this in a post here ......... all clearly to those that read.

Andrew Rodney's digitaldog website has a lot of good stuff, and I've read a lot of it. I think you appear to be misunderstanding what you've read.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow