What's really important in photography...???

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,184
Re: What's really important in photography...???

kiwi2 wrote:

[Snip] At the end of the day I think people need to ask themselves just how important is all this technical discussion and how much of a difference will it actually make to the quality of the photos in someone's album.

[Snip]

Now I realise that having an understanding of one aspect on photography is not mutually exclusive of having an understanding of the other aspects of photography.

But I do wonder if people that put too much focus on the trivial technicalities of camera equipment lose sight of the bigger picture and don't spend as much thought on the more important aspects to creating great imagery.

Yup. Knowledge is a tool and experience is a guide.

The gear and technical talk has helped me. It's helped me to better understand how the camera, as a tool, works. One of the outcomes of that process for me has been winnowing down the hundreds of controls and menu settings to just a handful that, on any given day, matter to the photo I want to make.

The process of going out & doing photography as often as I'm able, and of seeking out photographers whose work I admire and listening to their insights on what makes a great photo, has helped me to appreciate the value of simplicity. It's shaped how I approach the act of using the camera as a tool to make an image. The specific settings and technical specifications fade into the background. I'm rotating dials and making adjustments, instinctively. This allows me to pay more attention to subject, light, composition and moment.

So, for me, there's a balance. I appreciate a good technical discussion. I also enjoy a crossover discussion of how a setting or spec might - or might not - impact image-making. But the threads I enjoy most are those featuring photos others have made and are proud to share.

Yes, DP Review is a gear site. People talk alot about gear. Great. The gear is worthless if it's not being put to use making photos.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
jbf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow