ProGrade Digital (fast UHS-II cards) and readers

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 1,143
ProGrade Digital (fast UHS-II cards) and readers

Been doing my reading tonight on UHS-II tech since the EOS M6 Mark II I have on preorder sports it, and, needs it for the insane 14FPS it can pump out.

Now, sure, my EOS R can sport UHS-II as well. But, at a pedestrian 5FPS I normally shoot in AI-Servo at 30MP, I never fill the buffer. The M6 II on the other hand? 32MP @ 14FPS and smaller buffer... I know I'll hit it thus the time is at hand to pursue updating from my former king, the Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I's (I have a 64 and 256GB card in my EOS M6 and EOS R respectively).

As some folks may or may not be aware, Lexar went belly up. However, they were acquired by a Chinese firm shortly after like many things are in the silicon industry they can. Considering that they may no longer be supplied by Micron, many of the former reviews on their products may no longer be valid. Just because you bought the rights to the name, doesn't mean they're using the same silicon (they could be though, but I haven't read of anyone retesting them post-resurrection).

Sandisk, is pretty expensive for what you get in UHS-II.

Then there's these guys. Apparently formed by former Lexar and Sandisk Execs and, I've been reading they've been preforming well on the benchmarks and they're cheaper than the Lexars.

Question 1: Anybody use Prograde Digital and any after action reports on how well they fair?

Question 2: Any recommended UHS-II card readers (ProGrade's are expensive) that are economical? I could just use the built-in UHS-I reader on my MacBook Pro (2014), but, if it's cheap enough, sure, I'll take the faster read bandwidth. I like readers without cords though.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +3 more
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow