Deciding between the Sony a7iii and the Panasonic S1

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ihateredbeanpaste2 Regular Member • Posts: 147
Deciding between the Sony a7iii and the Panasonic S1

I am upgrading from the a6300, and I wanted to share my thoughts on the ongoing decision process. I definitely want a full-frame camera. I own only 2 sony af lenses - the kit e 16-55, and a kit FE 28-70. All my other lenses are vintage Canon FD prime lenses - I have been assembling this kit for a while now. If I really need better lenses for a job or a trip, I can always rent.

An all-around camera is important to me. Decent low light, decent video, manageable AF for selfie vlogging... But overheat has been a constant issue for me on the a6300. A new camera must be able to record 30-45m interviews without overheating.

I have high hopes for the a7iii. I don't hear much grumbling about overheating during general use. It's PDAF coverage and performance seems to be terrific, and its low light capabilities are no surprise to me.

I highly value the S1's unlimited recording, without fear of overheat. I'm almost willing to accept that the AF and C-AF are not as good as PDAF. It seems, as an outsider at least, that Panasonic made great strides with firmware improvements to the GH5's CDAF system over time, and maybe some AF firmware improvements will come to the S1 in time. From the few comparison videos there are, the Panasonic s1 also seems to have superior IBIS to the Sony a7iii. Even the Panasonic GH5 beat the a7iii's IBIS performance. As I said, I have a lot of vintage manual lenses so a better IBIS system would mean those lenses are even more valuable.

But the hard place for me right now is the lens selection for the Panasonic S1 is abysmal. Of course this is only the beginning for Panasonic full-frame development. But there isn't even a relatively cheap standard kit zoom - something similar to the Sony 28-70. I was thinking that maybe the licensing for the L-mount could make lenses expensive. But I also think it is possible that Panasonic may only be encouraging professional use of their Full Frame cameras at this time - while funneling enthusiasts/prosumers to their MFT lineup.

So I believe the only reasonable choice I am left with is the a7iii... maybe the a7riii if there is a thermal improvement. I think I shall have to either rent it, or take the dive, and test the overheat potential. Unfortunately, the hot days are coming to an end in my area so I think I have to act quickly on this. If Panasonic releases a standard zoom comparable to Sony's FF kit zoom in the next year I may consider the S1 again.

That's where I am right now in my decision-making process. Thanks for reading. And thanks if you throw in things I should think about as well.

<3

ihateredbeanpaste2's gear list:ihateredbeanpaste2's gear list
Sony a6300
FinePix S1 Panasonic GH5 Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow