Lightening Storm, and a couple of Questions

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,318
Lightening Storm, and a couple of Questions

I have been lucky enough to see two rather impressive lightening storms in the past 10 days. And, I am rather grateful for the weather sealing of my X-T2 and 16-55. So, here are a couple of questions regarding lightening captures and our great Fuji gear. I set the camera up to capture in CL mode with manual focus. And, 4 second exposure along with ISO set at 200. Out of habit and for the best composition on my bluff (so as to minimize anything like the tops of the trees leading down to the water, I almost always set my zoom to 55mm. Did I mention that my shutter choice was ES along with a 2 second timer? All I kept doing was pressing the shutter release and it would capture the series of images. Some work and get a strike in the frame and some are almost completely black. But, on odd thing I noticed with the first of the images below was that the electronic shutter was engaged and 1/3 of the way through the sensor going live for the 4 second capture, a strike happened. For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out why the left side was almost black. But, kept going after the quick review. Only when I got it back to my PC did I notice that there was information in what looked like a black band. Then I figured it out. The second image is just really cool. And luck of the draw as it relates to where I aimed the camera. So, here’s the question, does shuttershock not really impact a series of captures when you are taking several in a row, like when it is set to CL or CH? Is it the best choice for this type of capture? The second question is would a 3 stop ND filter help out in the crazy whiteness that lightening presents itself as when it is a big strike - like in the second image? Feel free to post any lightening imagery of your own and thanks in advance for looking and answering. These were SOOC that I did a tiny bit of post on. I will work the raw capture when I have the time. And, I noticed that when looking at my other images from this shoot that lightening has differing color temperatures. Who knew!

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow