Refurb 80d w/lenses or new 90d body

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,666
Re: Refurb 80d w/lenses or new 90d body

Dave wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

Free8888 wrote:

I’m looking to upgrade from my T2i, as I’m planning to go on a safari in the next 1-2 years, and want some time to work with the new camera ahead of that. I also have the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses (non STM). I’ve listed the T2i and lenses on Craigslist, and the offers aren’t much over $200

My question is whether I’d be better off going for the 80d refurb with the 2 lenses, or wait for the 90d to drop down to the $900-950 range and use the existing lenses nd keep the T2i as a backup. I’m assuming both cameras might see some additional discounting around Black Friday (probably need to wait longer for the 90d to drop).

I will agree with what others have said.

It might take 2-3 years for a 90D to drop to $900, whereas you can buy a refurb 80D + 2 lenses now for $700.

I would try to sell the old kit lenses. I have no personal experience, but from what I have read the newer kit lenses are noticeably better than the old ones, especially the 55-250mm.

You will definitely find 250mm wanting on an African safari. Even on APS-C 400mm is really the minimum.

Don't overlook a used Canon 100-400L (original) - they can be had quite reasonably priced I think. If you get a decent one (one of the later, not very early copies, which had some variation), they can be almost as sharp as a 100-400 L ii.

I was in Africa in 2016 with a 70D and original 100-400L and found it could produce some nice photos - see below (best viewed at original size).

I have since upgraded to the L ii because I got an exceptional deal that effectively amounted to around 40% discount. IMO the biggest differences between the two versions I have owned is the IS is more effective on the new lens, and the MFD is shorter (nice for "macros") and it is a little sharper.

Another option might be to rent a Canon 100-400L ii - I suspect you will be much happier with the overall performance (especially when the light is lower in the mornings and late afternoons, which is when the best game viewing takes place) than any of the 3rd party options.

Colin

Nice shots, Colin. My son rented an original 100-400L in Africa the year before version II was introduced and was very happy with the results.

Thanks Dave. There is nothing at all wrong with a decent 100-400L (original) - it was the benchmark go-to long zoom for about 15 years (in the same way that the 100-400L ii is currently still the benchmark go-to long zoom now, in spite of the increased competition from 3rd party lens makers).

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow