Refurb 80d w/lenses or new 90d body

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
totleytom Contributing Member • Posts: 554
Re: Refurb 80d w/lenses or new 90d body

For a general walk-around lens i’ve found the Sigma 17-70 f2.8 - f4 to be better than any Canon EF-S lens - i’ve had the 15-85 and the 18-55 IS (I.e. the non-STM).

As regards longer lenses, there’s also the 75-300 L. Probably better than the 100-400 mk1 but not as good as the mk2?

Finally, none of us really know yet how any of these lenses will perform with the 32.5 mp APS-C sensor. The better ones do a good-enough job on the 24mp APS-C bodies, but I suppose my worry is that in practice we might not see much actual improvement in detail, etc, from the extra sensor resolution. The lenses might limit it, and so might diffraction. I’ve read suggestion that images will start to be diffraction-limited on that sensor at around f6.7, and of course that’s where most budget EF-S lenses have traditionally started to get good!

Nonetheless I’ve ordered a 90D which I should be able to collect tomorrow. I’m selling my 5DIV - just too big and heavy with L lenses - and the 90D will be a huge upgrade from my existing APS-C camera, a 750D. But only the images I make will tell me whether it was worth it or not....

totleytom's gear list:totleytom's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow