What's really important in photography...???

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 54,680
Re: What's really important in photography...???

kiwi2 wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

As usual, the so-called artists berate that which they don't understand.

Wouldn't you think what knowledge and technical skill you need might depend just a tiny bit on what types of subjects you like to shoot and the types of final images you like?

Why couldn't I get this shot with my original telephoto system consisting of a Canon AE1 with Fuji 200 ASA film and a 70-200/5.6 slow zoom lens hand held? Why did I need a full-frame digital camera, a 2000mm f7 lens and an understanding of how to get a stable 8 second exposure with it, not to mention the right equipment for that purpose?

So you bought yourself a telescope with a motorised mount.

You think I don't understand "technical" stuff like that?

"At the end of the day I think people need to ask themselves just how important is all this technical discussion and how much of a difference will it actually make to the quality of the photos in someone's album."  --OP

The answer to that is, it matters a heck of a lot sometimes.

I'm sick of people using the claim that "its all about the photographer and the subject and the light, not the gear" as if the equipment never matters.  It absolutely does matter and, in some cases, it matters a whole lot.  Any implication to the contrary will be met with proof that the claim is false.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
jbf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow