Sony a6300 - shadows in the subject compared to a mid-range phone

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xamadeus New Member • Posts: 5
Sony a6300 - shadows in the subject compared to a mid-range phone

Hello all,

recently we were in Pisa, Italy. We took two photos with the same subject at the same time from (an almost) the same angle, one with my Sony a6300 16-50mm, and another with a Samsung Galaxy A8 mobile phone.

Sony a6300

Samsung Galaxy a8

There's no denying the Sony's superior colour rendering, detail, etc., but it also rendered our son in the shadows, while the phone seems to retain the same overall brightness throughout the photo, thus rendering the main subject brighter (and in this case more usable)!

Is this unnatural/computational dynamic range boosting from the Samsung phone? Did I do something wrong when taking the photo with the Sony? We are talking about a mid-range phone and to be honest the scene did not seem to me so shadowy at that moment.

How do you prefer dealing with shadowy subjects in bright backgrounds in a modern camera like Sony a6300?

I don't know if the slight different angle created this effect, but in general it seems that mobile phones smooth out the shadows, as also seen in a friend's iPhone XS max, which in general is perceieved as a "better" photo from the average user.

Thanks a lot,
Aris.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow