Dell XPS 13 bulging battery, what to do?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,029
Dell XPS 13 bulging battery, what to do?

I have a Dell XPS 13 (9343) ultrabook since about 2015 and really love it. I use it during photography on location to have an instant review possibility for clients where the photos are transferred with WiFi.

I usually have the laptop connected to AC power so in the course of ownership charged it only occasionally. I'm now traveling and need to charge it on a daily basis and suddenly I saw that my trackpad was lifted out of it's frame on the right side and on closer inspection that the keyboard was bulging on the right side too (I drew some parallel red lines on the image to show the issue more clearly):

After some Googling this seems due to a bulging battery and a reoccurring problem with these laptops, where you have only one year warranty on the battery and Dell doesn't even sell the batteries any more. My daughter has an older XPS 12 which is completely fine, while she charges it often. Very disappointed.

I found a third party replacement on ebay:https://www.ebay.com/itm/55Wh-Replacement-Battery-for-Dell-XPS-13-9343-13-9350-JD25G-JHXPY-5K9CP-Tools-LJ/113843566386?hash=item1a819af732%3Ag%3ArzwAAOSwNVxdR-%7ET&LH_BIN=1

I also found a 'genuine' replacement: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-JD25G-52Wh-Battery-for-Dell-XPS-13-9343-9350-13D-9343-5K9CP-90V7W-7-4V/113346900228?hash=item1a64007104%3Ag%3ATbQAAOSw6D9c7k1r&LH_BIN=1

So what to do?

I keep the laptop on mains now for the rest of my travel (two days) so I do not have to charge it any more. When home I plant to immediately remove the battery and order a new one.

But which one? Would the 'genuine' one have spent years on a shelf? Would it have the same problem as my present battery? Or just go with the cheaper generic one?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Philip

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow