Sharpness

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 5,895
Re: Sharpness

kcdogger wrote:

Looking for opinions. How would you rate these lenses for sharpness in everyday use on m4/3?

Olympus M/Zuiko 45mm f1.8

Olympus Zuiko 50mm f2 Macro (on adapter for m/43)

Sigma 60mm f2.8

Olympus M/Zuiko 75mm f1.8

Which would you say is the sharpest? Which the least sharp? P;ease stay with these four. OTOH, which, in your opinion is the sharpest m4/3 lens in the system.

I'll post the results in a few days.

Thanks in advance.

Peace.

John

I've owned three of the four. My personal experience on sharpness is 75/1.8 > 50/2 > 45/1.8. I don't have the 60/2.8 so can't comment from first-hand experience.

I recently sold the 50/2 and the 45/1.8. Both are wonderful lens, to be sure. But the 50/2 can be frustrating due to its slow focus, and an odd flare you can get due to the concave curvature of the front lens. I intended to replace it with the 60/2.8. Even if the 60/2.8 is not quite as sharp, it was a much more 'usable' lens when I tried it out in a store. The funny thing is that the 40-150 does a surprisingly nice job of closeups as long as you don't need 1:1 macro, so haven't yet pulled the trigger on the 60/2.8. It's currently on sale for $349 so a tempting target for GAS.

The 75 is a sharp and great lens to use. But it's kind of an odd focal length ... a bit too long for routine portrait work, too short for a long lens, and the focal length covered by the 40-150/2.8.  I do use it on occasion because it is really sharp with nicer bokeh than the zoom.  But it's no longer in my 'go-bag'.

I replaced the 45/1.8 with a 45/1.2. I wanted the 45/1.2 for portrait work, and figured that I had the focal length also covered with the 12-40.2.8 zoom which meant the 45/1.8 would be redundant.

Absolutely delighted with the 45/1.2. It is in the 'go-bag' and basically replaced both the 45/1.8 and the 75/1.8 for portrait work.

Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow