So long to the Super Fine setting for me

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,957
So long to the Super Fine setting for me

I know that in order to wring the last, dying quiver of image quality out of any good camera, I should shoot in RAW.

And folks that do shoot in RAW do have bragging rights to talk to serious photographers who always shoot in RAW, or at least claim to shoot RAW, when talking about the subject to anybody who claims to understand what RAW means.

But I tried RAW, and it generated huge files, and worse yet started counting towards my 15 gig free Google Photos limit, my phone didn't like to upload the pictures, so sadly I went back to JPEG.  I guess I'll never be a professional anyway, or even a real serious amateur.

But when my wife and I travelled to visit Hermann, I thought I'd juice my pictures up a bit by shooting Super Fine quality pictures.  After all, it's free to upgrade from Fine to Super Fine, although the good people at Olympus make you go through the menu to do it.

I got so incensed about taking pictures at Hermann, I racked up over six hundred shots in one afternoon.  The average file size was something on the order of 11 megabytes.  It clogged up my phone, and took hours to upload.  It even took a long time to upload on my personal computer.

After playing with Olympus cameras now for the last three years, I'd like to say my Super Fine photos were maybe just a little better than those shot in Fine.

But I can't see any difference.

For folks like me that just like to take pictures and share them with friends and family, and have an excuse to play with my Olympus camera, Super Fine is not fine at all.

Actually, I'll bet Normal quality would be fine enough, to suit me.

If you shoot a small camera, it's good to have the smallest file size that satisfies the craving to take pictures.

So from now on, no more Super Fine quality for me.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow