Panasonic LX100 II vs Olympus O-MD E-M1 MK2

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 559
Re: Panasonic LX100 II vs Olympus O-MD E-M1 MK2

I have an E-M5 II and an LX100 II, so not the exact comparison you’re looking for, but I understand the IQ differences between the 16MP chip in the E-M5 II and the 20MP chip in the E-M1 II are fairly minor.

From my experience, the difference between the E-M5 II with the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 and the LX100 II isn’t noticeable below ISO 1600 or so. Above that, the E-M5 II is maybe a half stop better. The one thing to keep a look out for with the LX100 II is that the lens can flare dramatically with strong light sources in frame, which does affect IQ substantially (I posted a review of the camera a couple months ago with examples, if you want to search for it).

But the practical noise difference can be substantial, since I can often use a stop or 2 lower ISO with the E-M5 II due to IBIS. Whatever stabilization the LX100 II has isn’t good. You need good shot discipline because it’s a very light camera and it’s really easy to induce wobble without IBIS to counter.

That all being said - the IQ is good enough that I’ve printed 16x20’s and have been quite happy. The vast majority of my photos over the last 10 months have been with the LX100 II because of its practically silent shutter, small and light form factor (making it easier to throw in the bag and take with me), ability to sync flash up to 1/2000th, multi aspect sensor, and great controls (lack of an articulated/tilting screen aside) make it really great and versatile to use,

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow