IQ on the 12-60 kit vs 12-35 ii?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Gary from Seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,497
Re: IQ on the 12-60 kit vs 12-35 ii?

thetrystero wrote:

I have the Lumix 12-60 3.5-5.6 (not the faster Leica) that came with my G85 and am wondering how much of an improvement in IQ I will see if I upgrade to the 12-35 f2.8?

On the difference optically, you can view numerical lens tests at Optical Limits. You can roughly estimate the % difference. I would think, though, that the kit lens would have more sample variation than a more expensive lens.

I've scoured around and there seem to be a lot of suggestions that there isn't much in it, with only one person here on the dpreview forums saying that the 12-35 is "much better".

Whether you can notice the difference in IQ or not is a different question and depends on your viewing screen, printing sizes, and how much scrutiny you tend to undertake in evaluating an image.

I will be using the lens mainly for family travel and in good light. For low light I will switch to my 15mm f1.7 or 42.5 f1.7. I will print max A4 sized photos at home on a Pixma Pro 100 and make some 4k videos to be viewed on YouTube.

I have the option now to add either the 8-18 or to add the 12-35 (selling the 12-60 won't get me much in my locale). Since I don't have a wide angle I think I would appreciate that for travel, but I've also read that the 12-35 seems to be the go to lens which is why i'm vacillating a bit, although some of those might have been before the 12-60 kit came out. The constant f2.8 could prove useful. I don't zoom mid-shot but I still have to adjust my variable ND currently to maintain shutter 180 if I re-compose between clips. It's mildly annoying but if the IQ isn't much better for my use case, I would rather live with the mild inconvenience than spend extra for essentially a shorter reach.

Your shooting style will determine what focal lengths you use; or is it the other way around - will you shoot more at different focal lengths if you have that capacity available? Best guess might be to evaluate your shots and to see if you often shoot at one end very close to that end.

Thoughts?

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow