DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Started Sep 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 7,927
Re: That dream has occurred a thousandfold...

spider-mario wrote:

Doug Janis wrote:

The real kicker though is price. They are 25% the size of the FF competition, so adding in capacity like 60fps, pro and high res, etc., is just masking the overall sensor issue. All mirrorless can or will have exactly this same features eventually if the market demands.

Can they, though? 60fps requires a fast readout speed, which is more easily attained with smaller sensors. The only FF camera that I know of with a faster readout speed than the E-M1 II (and yet, still no 60fps) is the Sony A9, and it:

1. pays for it in terms of dynamic range;
  2. costs more than twice the price.

I may be wrong but I suspect that demand for 60fps { which the early Nikon 1" cameras could do back in 2012  } is a very niche market.  It is indeed easier to do with a much smaller sensor but not impossible for larger if it was deemed a must have .

I am biased as other than a quick burst for bracketing I am a single shot guy, I have never used the 10fps on my Sony cameras or my GX8 heck I have not even used the 5fps { 7fps in DX mode } on my D810. I am struggling to come up with a scenario where I would use the 16fps in my Sony RX100IV.

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow