DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Started Sep 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
Slaginfected Contributing Member • Posts: 673
The problems with measurements

Henry Richardson wrote:

I have been using m4/3 since April 2012. For the types of things I mostly photograph and the way I do it the smaller size and lower weight of all the gear is very welcome. The sensors in the Olympus and Panasonic bodies are quite good and I am satisfied with them. I was just curious how the current m4/3 cameras compare to FF from not so long back. I looked at the E-M1II vs. Canon 5DII vs Sony A900. Of course, current FF is even better, but m4/3 has pretty much similar performance as fairly recent FF and in some areas better performance than just a few years ago. Amazing progress.

The problem with DR curves and similar is that they only look at max/min. If you want a better picture, check out the FullSNR and FullCS curves/diagrams. They are not available if you compare cameras, probably because of the insane clutter you'd get.

In any case, they show how things end up (at least in part) in the real world: My old 5D3 still beats your fancy EM1-II left and right, because except for the "deep" shadows it actually delivers better quality than the EM1-II does. Quite unsurprising really.

As for shadow pushing, the 5D3 offers like 2 stops, maybe, before you start seeing the stupid noise artifacts. The EM1-II is limited by its 12-bits, i.e. there is this "sonic wall" of 4-stops (like modern FF cannot really hit 6-stops due to 14-bits). So you get cleaner deep shadows, but thanks to the 12-bits that advantage isn't as huge.Tonal separation will be better on the 5D3. etc.

And then that was about base ISO. Shall we move the ISOs up? ...

All that side, why is there any need to create some "feel good post" based on a card house of easy to misread diagrams which falls apart on the slightest breeze. m4/3rd has a couple strong points, like for example weight and size, and if these points are played properly, no FF gets anywhere near. Also, it is much easier to get more reach, if needed, stabilization is in overall probably better etc. It is better to think along the lines of co-existence, and some people actually do that and play the strong points of each system to their advantage.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow