90D. Well that’s disappointing for us 7D2 users

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,263
Your Guess May Well Be Correct. I Have Hedged My Bets.

jrkliny wrote:

I have another guess.....there will be no 7DIII.

I can understand how those who are vested and love their 7Ds can hope for an upgrade. I am not vested and with more objectivity I doubt there will be one.

Your guess may well be correct.

If there is no 7D III, well, I am already prepared. I bought a 5Ds R, in early 2016, which has as much “reach” as a 7D II, thanks to the pixel density, and AF that seems more capable than the 7D II, at least in some conditions. I added a 5D IV, in early 2018, which has noticeably better AF than the 7D II. Neither of these have the frame rate of the 7D II, and the 5Ds R does not have nearly the buffer depth, but, I still have my two 7D II cameras.

These four Canon DSLRs are a capable “team,” complementing each other. I do very little high-volume continuous shooting, so, these cameras will probably remain serviceable for quite some time. I can use Canon DSLRs, while biding my time, for Canon’s EOS R system to mature. (Actually, I like the EOS RP, and may buy one, though it is not anywhere close to being a 7D II replacement.)

Then, there is Nikon, my second system. My wife became dedicated to Nikon, when she was ready to commit to digital, for her personal shooting. Her employer issued Nikon DSLR cameras, so she became accustomed to them. It made, and still makes financial sense, to be able to share Nikon lenses, especially for our common interest, bird photography. I had bought pre-owned, prior-model Nikon DSLRs, starting in 2014, and in early 2018, after I retired, the cheque for my unused, accumulated “comp time” was enough to fund my new D5.

I doubt that I will buy a 90D, if there is no 7D III. As attrition eventually claims my 7D II cameras, life will continue. One adapts to unwanted change; such is life. Already, I am more likely to use my EF 100-400L II IS on a 5D IV or 5Ds R, than a 7D II; in effect, I have adapted.(Nikon has nothing to match the wonderful EF 100-400L II IS.)

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +43 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow