DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Started Sep 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 6,257
Re: DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Boss of Sony wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

I have been using m4/3 since April 2012. For the types of things I mostly photograph and the way I do it the smaller size and lower weight of all the gear is very welcome. The sensors in the Olympus and Panasonic bodies are quite good and I am satisfied with them. I was just curious how the current m4/3 cameras compare to FF from not so long back. I looked at the E-M1II vs. Canon 5DII vs Sony A900. Of course, current FF is even better, but m4/3 has pretty much similar performance as fairly recent FF and in some areas better performance than just a few years ago. Amazing progress.

Many people are still making fantastic photos with the Canon 5DII and Sony A900 because they are still excellent. By the way, I chose those 2 for comparison because a few years ago I seriously considered buying them. For several years I was shooting Sony and had a bunch of lenses so thought about getting the A900. Also, for several years I was shooting Canon and had several lenses and thought about getting the 5DII. I used the E-M1II because DXO has not yet tested the G9 and E-M1X. I expect their scores would be very similar though.

Here is the link:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-Alpha-900-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II___371_483_1136

I don't see the point of these graphs. If you have ever tried to push the shadows and highlights of an ISO 1600 RAW file in post-processing, you will see a vast difference between a recent M43 camera and a recent full-frame camera. It's simple physics. The full frame sensor captures nearly 4 times as much light. The surface area is nearly 4 times as large.

So don't shoot at ISO 1600. Each system has it's sweet spot, and they don't precisely overlap. Horses for courses.

Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow