DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Started Sep 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 42,356
Re: Amen, and +1000

Doug Janis wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Making a big body at similar prices is not the way to go for m43rds.

Ricardo, I think your statement is 100% true. When M4/3 "goes big" it cancels out all of the advantages of having a small sensor and still cannot match the performance of a much larger sensor. It pretty much is a fool's errand.

There is no doubt that bigger sensors are "better." This is simple physics.

The real questions become:

• How much better?
  • Do I need it?
  • What will it cost to get it?

I'm pretty certain that some folks want a big M4/3 camera, so I am glad Olympus and Panasonic make a few big heavy beasts. These are probably people with very large hands, or people who want to use very large lenses, or who are so heavily invested in the system that they will pay a huge premium for ANY improvement, no matter how slight. But it would be a huge blunder if all M4/3 cameras were big heavy beasts.

As long as there are people who want things like smaller size, lower weight, better value, great features, and having an outstanding lens selection, then M4/3 will have a customer base.

If M4/3 goes big, heavy and expensive, then it really has no good reason to exist.

Other systems just do big, heavy and expensive better.

History agrees.

43 Olympus DSLRs were wiped from the market by APS-C/H and eventually FF.

Olympus tried to "pro" their 43 offerings, charged high prices, made excellent glass, focused on "wildlife" shooters, weather sealed the bodies, made bodies bigger for all-around ergonomics....and got crushed.

12 years ago, as the digital photography phenomenon was taking off for good, Olympus was a financial basket case as a result of trying to upscale and upset their small sensor.

There "micro" part of m43 was what saved the company. The EM1.2/EM1X, "pro" 1.2 primes larger and costlier than FF mirrorless 1.8 primes, are all exactly how Olympus nearly existed the camera marker a dozen years ago.

Same. Failed. Strategy.

This is the part that baffles me the most. Olympus saw this happen in 4/3rds *and* with film (small cameras in film gave them a market).  It's hard to see why history is being ignored.  But like one of my highshool teachers used to quote from someone else- those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow