DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Started Sep 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
Steve Rushing Contributing Member • Posts: 737
This This ^

I carry the EM1X & 300+1.4, and EM1.2 with 12-100 in a MountainSmith Tour day pack or Overboard DLSR dry bag in my kayak or flats boat or pontoon boat or hiking on trails in Southern Appalachia or into SE US wildlife refuges or recently 3 regions of Alaska.

I do not carry a tripod (and took tripod collar off the 300) and instead use this space for more of the 10 essentials such as extra water and food, first aid kit depending on the outing. I can move stealthily, following the target while shooting handheld and work the shot to (hopefully) get an unobstructed view of a wader or passerine in foliage. Or, I can use a button to quickly switch to a BIF custom mode.

I can shoot from a moving boat in the boat spray or rain. Red clay splatter is not a cause to put the camera away.

Are some of the shots noisy? Of course they are. It is a known limitation of one part of the overall system. But, for me, it doesn't distract from the outdoor experience of getting the shots in the places and conditions in which they pop up. If the shot is just too noisy, which is really not that often, oh well, I still have the experience.

Any one of the pros above can be isolated and compared to a similar function\feature in another brand's bodies or lenses. In fact, often times unfavorably so for that sub-piece of the Olympus kit. It's that physics thing. However, it's a total package deal for me. My photography kit doesn't change in any significant way the boundary of my comfort zone when I'm in the outdoors. It is not a hassle for me or my non-photography companions.

Yes, I buy into Olympus's marketing of 'freedom'.

Steve Rushing's gear list:Steve Rushing's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow