DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Started Sep 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
mostlyboringphotog Veteran Member • Posts: 9,058
Re: That dream has occurred a thousandfold...

Great Bustard wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

I have been using m4/3 since April 2012. For the types of things I mostly photograph and the way I do it the smaller size and lower weight of all the gear is very welcome. The sensors in the Olympus and Panasonic bodies are quite good and I am satisfied with them. I was just curious how the current m4/3 cameras compare to FF from not so long back. I looked at the E-M1II vs. Canon 5DII vs Sony A900. Of course, current FF is even better, but m4/3 has pretty much similar performance as fairly recent FF and in some areas better performance than just a few years ago. Amazing progress.

...for so many in the form of the smartphone -- a trend that Canon predicts to continue for at least two more years. So, yes -- many are very happy to leave the larger formats for a smaller format that matches (and even exceeds) the IQ and capabilities of larger formats in the past. But far more are going "all the way down" to the smartphone.

And why not? Have you seen pixel 3 night mode shot? I am impressed...

Pixel 3 XL night mode, hand held

EXIF

Make: Google
Model: Pixel 3 XL
Software: HDR+ 1.0.259661839nly
Exposure Time: 1/30 sec
Exposure Program: Normal
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
F Number: F 1.8
Max Aperture: F 1.8
ISO Speed ratings: ISO 437
Flash: Flash did not fire [off]
Focal Length: 4.44 mm
35mm Equivalent: 27 mm
Metering Mode: Center weighted average

mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Pentax 645Z Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EOS RP
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow