DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Started Sep 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 42,362
Re: DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Henry Richardson wrote:

I have been using m4/3 since April 2012. For the types of things I mostly photograph and the way I do it the smaller size and lower weight of all the gear is very welcome. The sensors in the Olympus and Panasonic bodies are quite good and I am satisfied with them. I was just curious how the current m4/3 cameras compare to FF from not so long back. I looked at the E-M1II vs. Canon 5DII vs Sony A900. Of course, current FF is even better, but m4/3 has pretty much similar performance as fairly recent FF and in some areas better performance than just a few years ago. Amazing progress.

Canon 5dII and Sony A900 are hardly "fairly recent."

Many people are still making fantastic photos with the Canon 5DII and Sony A900 because they are still excellent.

The reason many people are making fantastic photos with them is because it's the photographer creating the photos, not the camera. We can go back to the Olympus E-1, Minolta before Sony bought them, first Canon Rebel and so on.

I think it's nice that m43rds eventually matched what was FF back then. It means if your domain shooting envelope is covered by what was back then, you are set in m43rds.

That doesn't change the customer that was looking for an A900/etc. FF back then because they wanted or needed best money can buy for the particular aspects of image quality. That target moved.

That m43rds matches in some ways (not all ways) FF sensors from back then shouldn't be that surprising given how technology moves forward, but it's nice to see the perspective.

Whether they are satisfying enough now (for the same reason someone say with an A900 may have upgraded to an A7iii) it's up to each photographers needs and wants.

You could stay smart phones have approached or matched m43rds image quality of some years ago and thus why many are simply not bothering anymore buying a m43rds, APSC or FF Camera.

By the way, I chose those 2 for comparison because a few years ago I seriously considered buying them. For several years I was shooting Sony and had a bunch of lenses so thought about getting the A900. Also, for several years I was shooting Canon and had several lenses and thought about getting the 5DII. I used the E-M1II because DXO has not yet tested the G9 and E-M1X. I expect their scores would be very similar though.

Here is the link:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-Alpha-900-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II___371_483_1136

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow