DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Started Sep 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
NCV
NCV Forum Pro • Posts: 11,024
Re: That dream has occurred a thousandfold...

Great Bustard wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

I have been using m4/3 since April 2012. For the types of things I mostly photograph and the way I do it the smaller size and lower weight of all the gear is very welcome. The sensors in the Olympus and Panasonic bodies are quite good and I am satisfied with them. I was just curious how the current m4/3 cameras compare to FF from not so long back. I looked at the E-M1II vs. Canon 5DII vs Sony A900. Of course, current FF is even better, but m4/3 has pretty much similar performance as fairly recent FF and in some areas better performance than just a few years ago. Amazing progress.

Many people are still making fantastic photos with the Canon 5DII and Sony A900 because they are still excellent. By the way, I chose those 2 for comparison because a few years ago I seriously considered buying them. For several years I was shooting Sony and had a bunch of lenses so thought about getting the A900. Also, for several years I was shooting Canon and had several lenses and thought about getting the 5DII. I used the E-M1II because DXO has not yet tested the G9 and E-M1X. I expect their scores would be very similar though.

Here is the link:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-Alpha-900-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II___371_483_1136

Those are still excellent FF cameras and millions of wonderful photos have been made with both and are still being made.

It is amazing to me that the little m4/3 sensor is as good or better than those FF sensors from not long ago.

Yes, I know camera geeks always need a new fix to get high. But for most of us it is almost like a dream having smaller, lighter gear that has small sensors that are as good or better than what FF cameras not so long ago had. I shot 35mm film for decades so I have been very happy with digital, even small sensor digital such as my 2002 5mp Minolta D7i, for many years.

Comparing a FF sensor from a few years ago to a modern m4/3 sensor that is 1/4 the size is a very interesting and valid comparison, I think.

For those who are so unhappy with the 20mp (and 16mp) sensors in current m4/3 bodies because they don't have enough megapixels for you or some other sensor measurement then why are you using m4/3? Duh! You knew all of this before you bought. FF sensors will probably always have higher specs than the 1/4 FF size m4/3 sensors. Another duh!

I am pretty thrilled to have m4/3 gear that has sensors that is as good in most ways (and better in some) than FF cameras that not so long ago I seriously thought about getting. Glad I didn't though.

...for so many in the form of the smartphone -- a trend that Canon predicts to continue for at least two more years. So, yes -- many are very happy to leave the larger formats for a smaller format that matches (and even exceeds) the IQ and capabilities of larger formats in the past. But far more are going "all the way down" to the smartphone.

Whilst we engage here in arcane and twisted arguments over graphs, noise, sensor size and all the rest, we forget the big problem with cameras of all shapes and sizes, is that people want to share in real time their photo's on Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp.

This is why the smartphone is "killing" the "proper" camera.

On a recent holiday my wife asked me to send some pictures to her Facebook friends. I had to take the shots with my iPhone as neither my M43 or FF were up to the task of instantly transmitting a picture of the place we were visiting.

Outside of the little world of photography enthusiasts, the vast majority of people do not care at all about "image quality". They are just interested that the "content" is more or less represented in some way or other.

All these threads stem from the "fear" that the users system will soon  be dropped by the manufacturer and will not be supported. You see the same sort of panic on the DSLR forums.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow