DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Started Sep 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 5,402
Re: DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Henry Richardson wrote:

I have been using m4/3 since April 2012. For the types of things I mostly photograph and the way I do it the smaller size and lower weight of all the gear is very welcome. The sensors in the Olympus and Panasonic bodies are quite good and I am satisfied with them. I was just curious how the current m4/3 cameras compare to FF from not so long back. I looked at the E-M1II vs. Canon 5DII vs Sony A900. Of course, current FF is even better, but m4/3 has pretty much similar performance as fairly recent FF and in some areas better performance than just a few years ago. Amazing progress.

Many people are still making fantastic photos with the Canon 5DII and Sony A900 because they are still excellent. By the way, I chose those 2 for comparison because a few years ago I seriously considered buying them. For several years I was shooting Sony and had a bunch of lenses so thought about getting the A900. Also, for several years I was shooting Canon and had several lenses and thought about getting the 5DII. I used the E-M1II because DXO has not yet tested the G9 and E-M1X. I expect their scores would be very similar though.

Great post and so very true.

The m43 cameras we have now are capable of stunning quality output. It’s a shame so much forum space is devoted to bickering about what they can’t do rather than what they can.

And yes, 2008 is fairly recent... although manufacturers, retailers and review sites have it in their interests to over-emphasise incremental improvements to make us think otherwise. Posters on a photo gear site take that to a whole new level

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow