DXO: m4/3 vs. FF -- we have it good!

Started Sep 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 44,678
Re: I see you found the "screen" measure.

Henry Richardson wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

I have been using m4/3 since April 2012. For the types of things I mostly photograph and the way I do it the smaller size and lower weight of all the gear is very welcome. The sensors in the Olympus and Panasonic bodies are quite good and I am satisfied with them. I was just curious how the current m4/3 cameras compare to FF from not so long back. I looked at the E-M1II vs. Canon 5DII vs Sony A900. Of course, current FF is even better, but m4/3 has pretty much similar performance as fairly recent FF and in some areas better performance than just a few years ago. Amazing progress.

Many people are still making fantastic photos with the Canon 5DII and Sony A900 because they are still excellent. By the way, I chose those 2 for comparison because a few years ago I seriously considered buying them. For several years I was shooting Sony and had a bunch of lenses so thought about getting the A900. Also, for several years I was shooting Canon and had several lenses and thought about getting the 5DII. I used the E-M1II because DXO has not yet tested the G9 and E-M1X. I expect their scores would be very similar though.

Here is the link:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-Alpha-900-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II___371_483_1136

You know that the "screen" measure is a per-pixel as opposed to a per-photo measure, yes? In other words, the above charts compare 100% crops or, alternatively, photos displayed at sizes proportional to their pixel count and viewed from the same distance, rather than photos displayed at the same size and viewed from the same distance.

So, if this is the measure you are after, then, for sure, you have found it!

They are all almost the [same number of] megapixels so not that important, but please post the print ones here too so we can all easily see them.

Ah -- my bad! I saw that the "screen" measure was used rather than the "print" measure and commented before looking at which cameras were being compared, so I didn't realize you were comparing the 2008 5D2 and A900 to the 2016 EM1.2.

So, yes, you are quite right -- the MP counts are close, which means the relative differences between the "screen" and "print" measures will be negligible. But there are, of course, other more important differences in sensors that are nearly a decade apart.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow