Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
tokumeino Senior Member • Posts: 2,950
Re: Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

vegetaleb wrote:

The 16 to 80mm range is awesome but 2 things are not letting me buy it: the f4 and the weight

Major flaw IMO : the lateral chromatic aberation will be super high at wide angle, which can be an issue for some. And focus shift will need to get examined.

Using an f1. 4 16mm it will be very hard for me to go to as slow as f4, if it was f2. 8 I would have accepted.

Needs obviously differ. I personally most of the time try to increase DOF as much as possible, so large apertures are mostly used to increase shutterspeed. Indoor, I use a flash anyway (even with my 35/1.4) and outdoor, I cannot think of many occasions where I need to freeze movement at wide angle (because for still subjects, OIS is just fine).

In what kind of typical use case do you need f/1.4 at 16mm ? I mean, use cases where the 4 stops between f/1.4 and f/4 won't be adequately tackled by an effective OIS (it's an actual question, not a way to argue)

tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Canon G7 X II Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow