At what events / occasions did you shoot the most images?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 8,487
Re: I shoot...

Aaron801 wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Aaron801 wrote:

... a yearly music festival that I help organize. Between the fact that the musicians are so often looking down at their instruments (and not giving me great poses to shoot), are obscured by stuff like music stands and mics and that I really try to be discrete so as not to get in the audiences way means that this thing is pretty difficult to get decent shots with. Because of all of this I end up taking lots and lots of shots to get the best expressions and to get shots of performers that aren't obscured by people or stuff on stage. The show took place this year and I shot more images than I ever have before. I still don't think that I got enough really great shots, but I at least shooting lots improved my odds somewhat... though I really hate culling through that many shots.

Hi Aaron801, do you also have a quiet camera?

I used an Olympus Pen F this year and before that a Oly EM10. I'm pretty sure that my new Pen F has some options for silent electronic shutter, but honestly I never felt that I needed it because both of my Oly cameras have pretty quiet mechanical shutters. There's some sound but maybe not much or at all if your ear isn't right near the camera (when you aren't the photographer). A quiet camera is important too because the festival I shoot is jazz and though some groups can be pretty raucous, there are always parts that are very introspective and the volume is minimal... so any extraneous noise is noticed.

This is one big reason that I like mirrorless gear. There's a pro photogaher who also shoots the fest every year (I'm strictly amateur and my main contribution to the festival is as a board member and graphic designer; I design all of the material for print and web). This pro photog does manage to get some very fine images, but she uses a full frame DSLR type camera (Nikon, I think). She shoots many more frames than I do and her camera is quite noisy... it's pretty distracting when the on stage volume drops.

The Pen F is an amazing little sexy camera, perfectly capable for photographing concerts. My wife is using it when shooting concerts, I'm using an E-M1 mkll, both set to silent shutter.

ML cameras give now a perfect solution for concert photography and I think that using a noisy distracting dSLR for a concert,  is a rude thing to do and such a photog should not be allowed into the concert venue, no matter how good his/her photos may be.

moti

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow