Is there S/W to show exact focus point (active square) in images?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Clive99 Contributing Member • Posts: 580
Re: Is there S/W to show exact focus point (active square) in images?

El Vuelo del Escorpion wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

hankse wrote:

Phil1 wrote:

Hi Eric

I agree absolutely that the S/W is very useful. I was surprised to find that the focus point seemed to be slightly off the intended point in a lot of shots, but that could be due to the heat of the moment.

When I get a moment, I'm going to do some testing using a tripod & test shot to look at the accuracy of the point shown by the software - or it could be the accuracy of the EVF focussing square in relation to the actual point focussed? I've often wondered about the latter!

As there are often complaints about mis-focussed shots, this S/W could be very helpful in casting more light on the situation.

Many thanks again

Phil

Easiest and quickest is to review the image in camera and press the rear command wheel. The display will zoom in on the focus point, instant feed back while you still eventually have a chance to correct it.

This shows 100% view of the embedded jpg (if shooting raw). It is not full size, and imho not sufficient resolution to adequately check focus. I've been caught by this several times..thinking the image is sharp and in focus, only to download to my pc and find the focus off, or motion blur.

Clive

If you shoot RAW+Jpeg Fine the preview is full res

Interesting. Thanks. I was thinking of trying this.

Clive99's gear list:Clive99's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow