Film Scanner

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MtnBikerCalif Regular Member • Posts: 209
Re: Film Scanner

Barry Duggan Photography wrote:

nick101 wrote:

I looked at this a little while ago. The best bet seems to be the Reflecta RPS 10M which has good reviews and works well.

That said, as suggested in the earlier reply, using a dSLR with an adapter might be a better bet if you don't have huge quantities.

I would favour this option, however, I think a Macro lens is required?

Yes. To get full resolution the camera needs to be close enough to fill the frame with the slide image. Maybe not true if you have a 42MP full frame or similar.

I tried with a normal lens and filled approx. one-quarter of the frame. The resolution wasn't good enough to capture all the information even from 70-year old amateur slides. The Epson V370 captured all the information (non-scientific verification with 10x magnifier). The other problem with using a dSLR is lighting the slide. I picked up much more scratches and imperfections. The Epson either though lighting or software did much better.

MtnBikerCalif's gear list:MtnBikerCalif's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow