A7R IV as wildlife camera to save weight?

Started Sep 3, 2019 | Discussions thread
Iron Eagle
OP Iron Eagle Regular Member • Posts: 254
Re: A7R IV as wildlife camera to save weight?

davelok wrote:

The answer depends a lot on if you'd be happier with the versatility of a zoom lens as compared to the weight advantage (and perhaps sharpness) of a PF prime.

It seems that you are into photographing more distant creatures, as you like the longer focal length of the Sony 200-600mm.

If you can live with the inconvenience of a prime when photographing nearby wildlife, the D850 + 500mm PF combo ought to be just right. The camera is one of the best for wildlife out there, and 20MP vs 26MP isn't much of a difference.

I do prefer the longest FL I can get, so I'm sure I'd probably like the 200-600 more.  However, that combo is heavier than my D850+500PF, so I'm not gaining any weight advantage.  The extra 100mm of reach is an advantage, though.  I'd really like to see some comparisons between the 500PF and Sony's 200-600.

What would be really cool is if Sony made a 500 or 600PF lens of their own!

Iron Eagle's gear list:Iron Eagle's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow