OM-D E-M5 II vs GX9 vs GX8

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
gustabod Senior Member • Posts: 1,473
Re: OM-D E-M5 II vs GX9 vs GX8

I won both a GX8 and GX9, used to own the EM-5 II (currently have an EM-10 II which is my main travel camera, with small primes and the 14-150 zoom).

In terms of IQ they are all equally capable, and I doubt you will notice much difference, other than if you shoot JPEG and like the Olympus tone rendering. Personally I have used the EM-10 and a Sony A7 in recent overseas travel and frankly I like what the Oly produces.

The main difference will be in ergonomics, handling and controls, do you prefer a central EVF or one on the side "rangefinder" style? How it feels in your hand, placing of controls and so on needs consideration. I like the tilt-flip screen and viewfinder in the GX8, it's a camera I would have difficulty parting with.  I have printed and made books with images from each, and all perfectly fine.

Of course nobody can tell what the new Oly 5 will be like, and whether the features will be something that adds value above your current choices, I have cameras that are over 5 years old, and ones that are very recent and quite frankly I sometimes think new features are things that decorate spec sheets and marketing brochures rather than giving any tangible improvement to the way I photograph.

-- hide signature --

gustavo
www.pbase.com/gustabod

gustabod's gear list:gustabod's gear list
Leica Q Canon EOS-1D X Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow