90D. Well that’s disappointing for us 7D2 users

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,333
Re: Card failure

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

digigal wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

So far, we’ve had a 50D fail twice with shutter failure, a 7D with shutter failure, a 7D2 with secondary mirror failure (it got a new shutter), a 35-350 that has locked up, and another 35-350 failed this year with an error at certain focal lengths. And a Sigma 24-70 that managed to fail with two different issues within 48 hours years ago.

That said, the first failed (and repaired) 7D2 is now at about 1.1m actuations today, with a global count of about 2.1-2.2m, and we have one 7D2 at 1.6m without a single failure but it’s backup is ready in my bag.

So it’s swings and roundabouts with reliability.

Wow! I thought I had one of the longest lived 7DMKII with 390 K shutter clicks. It's not given me any trouble but because the shutter is rated for only 200 K clicks, I recently bought a new one because of some photography trips and I didn't want it to fail and have been using my old one as back up. I think I'm going to pass on the 90D and wait to see what Canon has to offer next Spring before making any final decision about what to do. I still plan to use a crop sensor for wildlife because of the ability to have the superb EF 100-400 II shoot at an effective 160-640 mm range which is perfect for me and is about the heaviest lens I can manage in a backpack full of gear.

Catherine

Yes, I never meet a hiker with a 500/600 mm prime. They are always 'at home'

Just returned from a week hiking with my 7DII, 100-400 II, 16-35 L, lots of filters (10 Lee GND) and heavy Leica 10x42 binos.

Ok, you can carry more but the most important question is: do you hike shorter distances because of your gear?

This is very true, as a hiker and cyclist that loves to photograph birds, I put my 500mm and 560mm lens behind me and got the Canon 400DOII. I would have gotten to the point where I would just leave the lens at home otherwise... The 400DOII is júst at the right side of things for me (not only weight but also size).

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a7R II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow