Visiting Montreal Basilicas

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,330
Visiting Montreal Basilicas

A week ago, I moved my son into his dorm room at Concordia University in Montreal. I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that my baby boy - wasn't it just yesterday that he was creeping around the living room in his Huggies? - is farther from me than Paris is from Moscow. Oh well, life without at least some adventure isn't really living.

While in Montreal, I had time to visit a couple of Catholic churches and make some photos. Here, are a few samples made with the Fuji X-T20 and 18-55mm kit lens. All shots are handheld, were shot in manual and processed to taste in Lightroom.

ST PATRICK'S BASILICA (constructed 1843-1847)

A view toward the front altar in St Patrick's Basilica.

A view towards the rear, including the elevated organ and choir balconies.

The roof is supported by 25 meter tall columns, all carved from white oak and encased in marble

A portrait orientation view toward the front altar. The large lamp hanging above the front altar weighs 1800 lbs. (815 kg).

MARY QUEEN OF THE WORLD CATHEDRAL (constructed 1875-1894)

A view toward the Ciborium in Mary Queen of the World Cathedral. The basilica was designed as a smaller scale version of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.

The Ciborium

The domed roof at the junction of the two arms of the basilica. The dome is directly above the Ciborium.

A portrait orientation view toward the Ciborium in Mary Queen of the World Cathedral (Montreal)

I should note I used the Enhance Details tool in Lightroom to create DNG files from the Fuji RAFs for processing. I recently upgraded my laptop to a Lenovo Legion Y540 15-inch with an i7-9750H (6 cores) CPU, 16GB RAM, and Nvidia GeForce 1660 Ti (6GB) CPU. As a test of the new system, I batch processed 43 RAFs to create the DNG's. That task took about 22 minutes or roughly 30-seconds per image.

Thanks for having a look.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow