What’s in your trinity?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,655
Several Alternate Trinity Combinations

Trinity #1: EF 14/2.8L II, EF 24-105L IS, EF 100-400L II IS; a mixed prime/zoom L trinity.

Trinity #2: EF 14/2.8L II, EF 35/1.4L II, EF 100/2.8L Macro IS; an L prime trinity.

Trinity #3: EF 14/2.8L II, EF 35/2 IS, EF 100/2.8L Macro IS; a compact variation of #2.

I have other Canon-mount lenses, but these are the sensible three “trinity” sets. My EF 135/2L can be substituted for the Macro L, for a bit more reach.

Long, rambling, probably boring to most:

I had been using an EF-S 10-22mm, on a 7D, since early 2011, but its barrel separated in late 2017 or early 2018, leaving me with EF 24-105L and EF 100-400L II IS zooms. The EF-S 10-22mm was such a good lens, I did not feel a need to keep a “full-frame” ultra-wide Canon zoom.

The broken EF-S 10-22mm zoom was, in effect, “replaced” by the EF 14/2.8L II, a few months after the 10-22mm broke. This ultra-wide prime had been on my wish list for several years. Buying a well-preserved EF 14/2.8L II seemed the sensible thing to do, as I had most often used my zoom at 14mm.

An EF 11-24L remains high on my “wish list,” but is not an urgently-felt need. My EF 14/2.8L is nicely compact, compared to most ultra-wide zooms, and is versatile, being 14mm on a 5D-series body, or 22mm/23mm “equivalent” when used on a 7D II.

My Pelican 1510 case is usually kept ready-to-roll, with a pair of 7D Mark II cameras, with the EF 14/2.8L II and EF 100/2.8L Macro IS lenses mounted, three Speedlites, and room to easily add the EF 35/2 IS, and another camera body, such as a 5Ds R or 5D IV.

Before I retired, I was a police patrol officer, with the added responsibility of evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography, and used that big Pelican Case while on duty. The lenses on the 7D, and later 7D II cameras, were the above-mentioned EF 100/2.8L Macro IS and EF 24-105L IS. Before I bought the 24-105L IS, I kept the EF-S 10-22mm lens on a 7D, in my duty kit. (I have never claimed to be a “professional” photographer. I did strive for a high standard of care, when creating images for official documentary and evidentiary/forensic purposes.)

I would probably own an EF 24-70/2.8 II, but, well, Canon is not my only camera system.

My wife is a quite serious photographer, the mentor who guided my start in SLR photography. She shoots only Nikon. Nikon became my secondary SLR system, when I started adding older-generation, pre-owned SLRs in 2014, enabling us to share lenses and accessories. I bought a Nikkor 14-24/2.8G, and a pre-owned 24-70/2.8G ED, in mid-2015.

A financial windfall in 2018 enabled me to finally buy new Nikon DSLRs, for myself, but I still see Canon as “primary,” due to the completeness of my overall kit, especially macro and flash equipment.

We do have the twice-superseded 70-200/2.8G VR, to complete the pro zoom trinity. I would much rather tote the smaller 70-200/4G VR, than the larger, heavier f/2.8 version.

In actual practice, neither I, nor my wife, carry an entire Nikon pro zoom trinity, when shooting alone. We may have the complete zoom trinity when shooting, together, but only rarely.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +57 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow