TG microscope mode limitations?

Started Aug 30, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SirLataxe
SirLataxe Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909
TG microscope mode limitations?

I have a TG-4 which I've recently started using more than heretofore to capture close-ups of fungi, mosses, lichens and similar stuff. (I recently moved to a new home next to very extensive woodlands).

The best pics need a deep DoF, which generally needs focus stacking or focus bracketing mode. The TG-4 has limitations in these modes:

* Inability to use delayed shutter firing after the button press, which can induce camera shake, even when a tripod is used.

* No RAW, only jpeg.

* No ability to use flash.

I get the impression, from reading other threads about the TG-5 and TG-6, that these later models may not have the above limitations. The limitation of the TG-4 that bothers me the most is the lack of RAW in stacking mode.

+ Does the TG-5 or TG-6 allow this? One thread of this forum seems to suggest so.

+ There also seems a way to set a delay between shutter press and shutter firing on later TG models....?

+ Can flash (I'd use the FD-1 as well) be used with focus bracketing modes in the TG-5 or TG-6, or are they still confined to use of the LED light?

I also struggle to find any hard information about how to best set focus before setting off a bracketing operation. The manual gives no real advice about how to do so; or how the camera does it when one half-presses the shutter button. Anybody have knowledge of this? Should initial focus use area or spot-focus on the foremost. middle or backmost part of the subject one wants wholly in focus?

Thanks in anticipation for any information you can give me.

SirLataxe

Olympus TG-5 Olympus Tough TG-4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow