Panasonic G9 bird/wildlife shooting - how to improve autofocusing technique?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mzro New Member • Posts: 18
Panasonic G9 bird/wildlife shooting - how to improve autofocusing technique?

Hey, really would like to get a good advice on subject!

I recently bought G9 with 100-300mm mk2 lens and started to shoot birds in wildlife. I am still learning all capabilities of the camera.

Aside from developing proper bird watching and bird tracking techniques, the most thing I am struggling with is aufocus. Damn, it misses a lot! And even when it seems I have a small bird in focus, after review I often find the focus was slightly off.

I know that 100-300mm lens is just an affordable super-zoom and I shouldn't expect top sharpness and image quality from it. But still want to get the most from the camera and the lens.

1) For the most time I use really small 1-area AFS as I find it the most reliable and quite fast. Should I use custom AFF focus settings instead?

2) Is it possible to have a 20x zoom with auto-focus?

3) Is it possible to enable focus peaking with auto-focus?

4) How I can assign quick focus type switching (like quick switching from custom-multi to 1-area. Should I use C1/C2/C3 dial modes to create custom shooting profiles?

5) When I should use AFC for moving creatures?

6)Should I always use AFC for burst shooting?

Any advice or hints regarding to shooting birds and wildlife with G9 are very welcome! Thanks.

Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow