At what events / occasions did you shoot the most images?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,041
Re: Falconing

gollywop wrote:

Lance B wrote:

gollywop wrote:

Last Christmas my daughter's family gave me a gift certificate to a private extended falconing exhibition at the New England Falconry in Hadley, MA. My daughter and I attended last Spring, and it was simply fantastic.

In short order I took 103 shots with an 80 percent keeper rate. The keeper rate was actually 94%, but I also deleted ones that were simply too similar to others. I took that many shots – not my usual practice – because the models (Harris's hawks) were simply superb, on the perch, on the arm, and in flight.

Like you, my largest set of images at one outing was when I shot a pair of wild falcons on a cliff top. It is very easy to rattle of over 1,000 images when using 9 fps on a D850 with grip and battery. The worst part is the time taken going through them and culling those that were not quite good enough! Here is a 19 shot sequence with the D850 + 400 f2.8E FL VR and didn't miss a beat, bird flying at about 100kmh straight at me:

https://pbase.com/lance_b/19_shot_sequence

Yep. It is quite an impressive sight, and certainly an amazing feeling, when one of those things comes flying right at you.

It certainly is. Such an amazing bird and every time I watch them I am in awe of their beauty, power and majesty.

I always shoot single shot, so never amass images in those numbers. But I can see you can have quite a day's production shooting with multiple fps.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow