At what events / occasions did you shoot the most images?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
gollywop
gollywop Veteran Member • Posts: 8,299
Re: Falconing

Lance B wrote:

gollywop wrote:

Last Christmas my daughter's family gave me a gift certificate to a private extended falconing exhibition at the New England Falconry in Hadley, MA. My daughter and I attended last Spring, and it was simply fantastic.

In short order I took 103 shots with an 80 percent keeper rate. The keeper rate was actually 94%, but I also deleted ones that were simply too similar to others. I took that many shots – not my usual practice – because the models (Harris's hawks) were simply superb, on the perch, on the arm, and in flight.

Like you, my largest set of images at one outing was when I shot a pair of wild falcons on a cliff top. It is very easy to rattle of over 1,000 images when using 9 fps on a D850 with grip and battery. The worst part is the time taken going through them and culling those that were not quite good enough! Here is a 19 shot sequence with the D850 + 400 f2.8E FL VR and didn't miss a beat, bird flying at about 100kmh straight at me:

https://pbase.com/lance_b/19_shot_sequence

Yep. It is quite an impressive sight, and certainly an amazing feeling, when one of those things comes flying right at you.

I always shoot single shot, so never amass images in those numbers. But I can see you can have quite a day's production shooting with multiple fps.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow