Sling type camera strap?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Kuppenbender
Kuppenbender Senior Member • Posts: 2,172
Re: Never felt the need for a sling strap.

Jimmy K. wrote:

Kuppenbender wrote:

They’re camera straps. If you’re calling it a ‘neck’ strap you’re doing it wrong!

https://youtu.be/c4HjmI9Zi4k

If my need to shave a fraction of a second off the time it takes me to bring the camera up to my eyes out-weighed the security benefit of two purpose-built points of attachment, I might reconsider.

Haha, funny video.

When I bought my latest camera, I actually used default strap from camera maker (Sony) in sling style temporarily, while waiting on the shipment/delivery of real sling strap.

Default strap from camera manufacturer is too short to use in sling style.

• I can physically get the camera and strap in sling position if I wear t-shirt. Camera sits in my rib cage. It is too short but still usable.
  • If I wear a jacket, camera is in my armpit. It is way too short and uncomfortable.
  • I can physically use camera in view finder mode where camera is in my face. It cannot be used comfortably with rear LCD mode, as camera needs to away from my face/body.
  • Plus, the default camera strap is not padded. My Sony APS-C strap is like 1/2 inch wide. FF straps are wider, but still not padded.

Third party sling straps are definitely way to go.

You’ve misunderstood my post.

I wasn’t in any way endorsing the straps included with the camera. As you say, they’re often too short, garish and uncomfortable. 3rd party’s definitely the way - I just don’t feel the need to go ‘sling-style’.

I use a 50” long Wapiti strap (vs the 42” strap supplied with the camera). That works fine for me bandolier-style.

Longer, custom lengths are available for the larger photographer.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow