Affordable, sharp, compact tele-zoom for µ4/3

Started Aug 29, 2019 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Smaug01
Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,379
Affordable, sharp, compact tele-zoom for µ4/3

At the time of this writing, these are frequently available new for $100. I found one for less than that on ebay.

Reading the reviews, I see it has a plastic lens mount. That's no problem, since the lens is so light and since the plastic Olympus specified is hard enough not to easily be rounded off.

I tested this out at the race track vs. my adapted OM Zuiko 135/3.5. I figured it'd be a wash, with the 135 being faster and easier to focus manually, vs. this one with modern coatings. But no, this inexpensive lens destroyed the old OM Zuiko. (and both lenses had hoods) The color rendition is also better and doesn't need correcting in post-processing.

I would buy this lens again in a SECOND, especially for < $100. The only place it would be a concern is if you REALLY need speed. Then, you better open your wallet or be ready to settle for some compromises of adapted glass.

Here's one example from this lens and the humble E-M10 III

OM Zuiko 135/3.5. Looks good after corrections, but not as good as the inexpensive, slow zoom.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength."

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +29 more
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R
Telephoto zoom lens • Micro Four Thirds • V315030SU000
Announced: Jun 30, 2011
Smaug01's score
Average community score
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow