When it was "pentax corporation "

Started Aug 23, 2019 | Discussions thread
Wahid Khan 1961 Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: Now backed by more reliable resources

James O'Neill wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

James O'Neill wrote:

Leandros S wrote:

Saying it's a pity it's a brand is the wrong way to think about it, imo. Pentax is now financially backed by a much bigger corporation that can ensure the brand's long-term survival. From the way Ricoh has intermingled its products with Pentax ones and been keen to put its own name on the camera from day one, I'd say they'll be keeping hold of all that for a while. And the division is turning a profit in spite of the generally dire state of demand for dedicated digital cameras.

You couldn't hope for a much better situation, really.

Really ?

Total Pentax cameras released

in the last 12 months. Zero.

In the 12 months before that: one (up dated K1)

In the 12 months before that: also one (KP)

1 new camera and one update in 3 years.

New lenses 3 new lenses and one old lens with a new coating in the same time.

Ricoh announced the new 85mm lens 3 years ago, and I no longer expect it to ship before Ricoh makes it's long awaited announcement of Pentax's final closure.

I keep wondering how much "improvement" can yet be made to DSLRs. There are higher megapixel sensors that can be used. And of course Pentax could improve its autofocus. Other than that, though, what genuinely useful improvements can be made? I think we are in the era of diminishing returns to new models.

I tend to agree with this observation. I think we've all been spoilt by the extremely rapid and genuine improvements in the digital era. It has to plateau off at some point. Diminishing returns is my perception too.

Joe

Off the top of my head these things I would be thinking about if were looking to keep Pentax alive.

• A full frame camera which doesn't use APS-C focus (that's right the K1 and K1-ii don't have any focus points outside the APS-C zone),
  • Faster / more reliable AF.
  • Newer sensor (If not more pixels, better DR )
  • WiFi which can transfer a RAW file in under 45 seconds (yes the K1 Wifi is 10Mbit/sec and takes that long to ship a RAW file).
  • Faster USB .
  • Touch screen controls
  • Lighter weight / lower bulk bodies (once a Pentax strong point).
  • New FA lenses
  • Lenses with electronic aperture control only (1 so far).

Given a genuine choice I would always choose an aperture system that had a manual option/over-ride in case of electronic failure.

• The big 50 had a new motor, have they updated the motors in other lenses - no, they put a new coating on a 35mm lens design which 45 years old and released a screw mount lens in 2019.
  • Flash which is closer to the rest of the market.
  • An update to the 645 to something near current tech.

10 different economists giving 10 different answers seems to be applicable to photographers with respect improvements too. Of course they are going to be different as we all have different needs and priorities. We also differ in what sacrifices we are prepared to make; financial, weight/bulk, convenience, etc.

For what it's worth I find the KP to be a very cute looking beast and if I could wish improvements on it it would be; squeeze in a GPS system and USB charging. With just these two I'd be I'd be as happy as a 'pig in muck' (very happy) as my local colloquialism goes.

Wahid Khan 1961's gear list:Wahid Khan 1961's gear list
Samsung EX2F Samsung NX10 Pentax K-5 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX20 +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow