90D has no high-precision centre AF like 7D MK2?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Jase619
Jase619 Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: 90D has no high-precision centre AF like 7D MK2?

Justme wrote:

Jack Jian wrote:

Justme wrote:

But will it replace the 7D MK2? is it as good as the 7D MK2? You be the judge. But it doesn't have CF and only has 45 AF points

I have seen no official statement stating 90D will replace 7D line up. The 45 af pts are mated with 220k RGB pixel improving subject tracking, which 7D II have only 150k vs a mere 7.6k in 80D.

The new 90D only has 1 card slot. No mention if it can AF at f/8 (500mm f4 lens with a TC 2x) like the 7D MK2. If it can't, no way will it replace my 7D MK2 as this capability is very important for my type of photography.

Rudy Winston in his video states, the 90D will have its 27 central AF points available at f8.

I have read different things on different sites. I have read right on this site that the 90D will have xx (think it was the number you quoted) number of AF points for metering purposes. I am not sure if the person above (Rudy) qualified what he meant by that statement. I haven't seen the official Canon specs from Canon.

Usually Canon provides those dual precision type AF points on their pro cameras like the 1DX line. They put a measly 1 such AF point in the 7D MK2. It would be surprising if Canon included 27 such points in the 90D. I mean it would be great if it were to happen. Can anyone confirm if the 90D has AF points that will allow the AF of a lens combo of f/8 such as adding a 2x to a f4 lens making it an f/8 lens?

From the DPR quick look, the 90D sounds like what it is, a slight upgrade from the 80D and not a 7D MK2 upgrade or replacement. But still looks liker a fun camera to use.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-initial-review-what-s-new-and-how-it-compares

32MP, LV AF (including Eye AF), 4K video, 220k metering pixels, nearly 1/3x improvement in battery, UHS II card support, and the amazing JOYSTICK etc ... all this makes it a huge update to 80D, at least to me.

If single Dig!c 8 can do all this, I am imagining what canon will bring out in 7D III with Dual Dig!c 8.

Yes, literally everyone else who commented have confirmed that at f/8 it will have 27 AF points. . .

-- hide signature --

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Jase619's gear list:Jase619's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow