Tony Northrup - The TRUTH: Hi Megapixels + BIG Prints are a WASTE?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,849
Re: Not a dpi calculator

JimKasson wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

1. blue_skies wrote:

Your point is valid, the printer will (usually) print at 300 or 600 dpi anyways, and interpolate data when possible. The actual content would be measured in how much you stretch the pixels per inch (how low).

Most Epson printers print at 1440 or 2880 dpi. Often they print at both of those at the same time, one vertically and one horizontally. The halftoning software in the driver operates on a 360 or 720 ppi image.

A 300 or 600 dpi printer may be okay for text and binary images, but not for contone ones like photographs.

In an inkjet printer, the resolution of the marking engine is specified in dpi. The resolution of the contone image is specified in ppi. The contone image must be halftoned before being sent to the marking engine.

Jim

Here is a dpi calculator: https://www.pictorem.com/dpicalculator.html

That is labeled as a dpi calculator, but it does not calculate dpi. In fact, what it calculates is pixels per inch, or ppi.

The label in the screen shot is right. The other label is wrong. This is an error, and I'm sorry that it fooled you.

Yup, I see that too

I think that you are referring to photo-printers,

Well, I am, but aren't we talking about printing photographs?

I am not, I am referring to large print setups.

I am referring to inkjet printers. What "large print setup" do you have in mind?

But yeah, in Tony's case, a higher resolution printer will affect the outcome, I think.

If you print on canvas, you cannot go to such high resolution anyways, canvas printers typically print at a lower dpi than paper printer.

Every canvas print I've ever made has been printed at at least 1440 dpi.

dpi, sure, but how many ppi?

https://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/articles/dpi

The article explains printer resolution and tonality in terms of dpi.

In terms of ppi, for conference work we have gone as low as 120 and 150 ppi, it still looks great.

300 to 600 ppi is what I see usually for smaller print, with 600 ppi for photographs.

Jim

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7 II Sony a7R II +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow